Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Native in the fire ...Everton Scout ACE Camp Part 8

Tuesday August 13, 2013

What's a camp without a campfire. We had one every night. 
Oh and there were song too!
and marshmallows :)

One particular one was out in the Adirondacks. 
(shelters that are open on one side.)
Hay and a tarp cover the floor inside - so it's very soft to sleep on. 
There's also a mosquito netting on the opening. 
The kids were all very excited about this.

Hay doesn't like me, so I was in a tent for the night.


During the day, we explored the area around the Adirondacks. 


The forest used to be full of giant pine trees.
Sadly, many years ago a fire destroyed them - except for one that still stands.

It's HUGE.

The Lonesome Pine.





Massive.
So tall you can't see the top.
I can't imagine a whole forest like this.
Would have been incredible to see.

Now before I get to the campfire,
there was a legend that was shared about this tree.


Native Indians lived in the area a long time ago.

There were two enemy tribes.
From these tribes, a boy and a girl fell in love.
But because they came from enemy tribes, 
they had to keep their meetings a secret.
So they used to meet at this pine tree.




So how does that tie in with the campfire?




This is the photo I took later that night... 
(remember it's not far from this tree.)



I'd have to say the neatest photo I've ever taken.

Can you see the native Indian with headdress?







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the campfire pic. And yes, I could see the Indian and Headdress. Watching campfires is similar to watching clouds. If you look hard enough, you can almost always see something!